Currituck Beach Lighthouse
The Currituck Beach Light is a lighthouse located on the Outer Banks in Corolla, North Carolina. An example of Gothic Revival architecture, the Currituck Beach Light was added to the National Register of Historic Places on October 15, 1973.
On December 1, 1875, the Currituck Beach Light was completed, located between Cape Henry Light and Bodie Island. Unlike its fellows, Currituck Beach Light was not painted, leaving its brick facade visible. In 1939, the lighthouse was automated following a merger of the United States Coast Guard with the Bureau of Lighthouses.
The Outer Banks Conservationists (OBC) performed much of the reconstruction and refurbishing work since 1980 through private funding and volunteer work. Since 1991 visitors have been allowed to climb the original 214 steps to the outdoor gallery. Access to the lens room is not permitted as the first order lens is not only the original lens, but it is still a functioning one. The light comes on every night and shines from 158 feet at 20-second intervals to warn ships hugging the chain of barrier islands along the coast.
currituck beach lightcurrituck beach lighthousecurrituck beachcorollaobxouterbanks north carolinanorth carolinabeaconguidetallred brickbrick lighthousecape hatterasoceanwarningmarinerstructurearchectictureblue skynavigationgothic revival architecturehistoricshorelineallen beattyleavescoastalwindowstowercurrituck parkcoastbricknauticalcurrituck heritage parklighthousefresnelredheritage