Old Queens Entrance Gate
Old Queen's is the oldest building at Rutgers University and is the symbolic heart of the university's campus in New Brunswick in Middlesex County, New Jersey in the United States. Rutgers, the Eighth-oldest college in the United States and founded in 1766 during the American colonial period as Queen's College a decade before the start of American Revolution. Queen's College was named for Charlotte of Mecklenburg-Strelitz, the daughter of a German duke who became the queen consort of British king George III. Old Queen's is located on a six-acre hilltop city block bounded by Somerset Street, Hamilton Street, College Avenue and George Street that was previously an apple orchard. Donated to the college in 1807 by James Parker, Jr., this city block become known the Queen's Campus and is the historic core of the university. Because of this, the name "Old Queen's" came to be used as a reference to Rutgers College and is often invoked as an allusive reference to the university or to its administration.
Designed by American architect John McComb, Jr., who also designed New York City's city hall, the cornerstone of Old Queen's was laid in 1809 by the college's third president, the Rev. Ira Condict. Due to financial constraints, construction was not completed until 1823. In its early days, Old Queen's provided instruction space for lectures, student and faculty housing, as well as space for a college library and chapel that was shared by three institutions simultaneously: the College, its Grammar School (today, Rutgers Preparatory School), and the New Brunswick Theological Seminary. Today, Old Queen's houses the university's administration including the office of its president and governing boards.
Old Queen's is regarded by architectural experts as one of the finest examples of Federal architecture. Old Queens was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on May 11, 1976 and is listed as a National Historical Landmark. The entire Queen's campus was included on the State and National registers in 1973
rutgersrutgers universityruoldqueensold quennsqueens collegeoldesthistoriichistoricalcenterofficesbuildingarchitecturefederal architecturecupolaweather vaneblue skycloudsscenicnational registerlandmarksymbolicheartnew brunswick1766american revolutioncolonialqueens campusadminisrationpresidentofficegoverning boardsallen beatty